Between May 16 and June 16, the Oral Health Foundation raises awareness of important health concerns by celebrating National Smile Month, and our dental team is here for it! We invite you to join us in making a positive difference in the oral health of the people around you. Everyone deserves the chance at a healthy smile, especially since dental health is a crucial part of good overall health. Here are the basic but essential strategies for creating healthy teeth and gums:
- Brush teeth for two minutes twice a day using an ADA-approved toothpaste.
- Floss between teeth daily to remove cavity-causing dental plaque.
- Limit sugary foods and drinks that feed harmful bacteria.
- See your dentist twice a year for routine checkups and dental cleanings.
Five Mood Lifting Smile Facts
1. It takes 62 muscles to frown but only 26 muscles to smile, so enjoy this relaxing and wrinkle-reducing habit!
2. Babies flash their smiles around 400 times a day, while grown-ups typically smile only around 20 times.
3. Smiling does so much for your wellbeing; it helps you relax, boosts your immune system, lowers blood pressure, releases endorphins, and relieves stress.
4. Smiles are contagious, and that’s one contagion you don’t want to hide!
5. Workers who cheerfully spread smiles are more likely to get a promotion, and if that doesn’t make you want to smile, we don’t know what will!
National Smile Day on May 31
On National Smile Day (celebrated annually on May 31), smile your brightest while boosting your serotonin (a natural stress reliever) and spread good cheer to help those around you smile! Tell jokes, volunteer at your favorite charity and take a moment to feel deep gratitude for something in your life. These are all ways to bring a smile to your face and those around you. Protect your dental health by coming in routinely for cleanings and checkups. Your routine visits make us smile because we love helping you get a healthier, more beautiful smile you will love spreading!
Smiling makes you and those around you feel good. If you’re at work, smiling can increase productivity and creativity in you and your colleagues while making you look more competent and trustworthy. Enjoy the health benefits of smiling, which makes your brain healthier by lowering stress, blood pressure, heart rate, and pain. Smiling also increases endurance, strengthens your immune system and even helps keep the cells in your body healthy. Some might even say a smile is your best accessory and doesn’t cost a cent! Do you feel moody? Try a smile. You will not only feel happier but more confident, too!
World Laughter Day on May 1, 2022
Smiling isn’t the only way to feel better. Did you know that both spontaneous and self-induced laughter increases your body chemistry and brain function? Laughing more can help you live longer by boosting your immune system while reducing stress, anxiety and brain fog.
Boost Your Smile
By taking good care of your smile, you can improve your dental health. This month, we encourage you to make the most of your dental and overall health with good oral health habits. If you feel self-conscious about your teeth, Dr. Leo Man and his Man dental team in Chino Hills, CA, are always here to help you create your best smile! Give us a call today at 909.590.2229 to schedule a visit to care for your smile, so you can laugh and smile more!